Paying it forward...
Well here it is my long awaited post. I was so excited to start this blog with Vicki and then found it was impossible to find the time to actually write. I have thought about what I would say a million times and how eloquent my words would be! I imagined the 3 readers of this blog would just be mesmerized at what I had to say THEN I woke up from my crazy dream! Reality is its just plain and simple. There really isn't some big story or lightening bolt moment... it's just all been meant to be!
My dad was given 6 months to live when he was 40 years old, I was a senior in high school! He suffered from Juvenal diabetes and his kidneys were failing as a result. His sister donated her kidney to him and gave him a second chance at life. He later had a pancreas transplant and another kidney transplant 4 years before he actually passed away. He died at the young age of 58. He lived long enough to see his kids marry and met all of his grand kids. I will forever be grateful for my unselfish hero's Jeri and Chad whom extended his life through kidney donation!
I met Vicki about 6 years ago and we immediately discussed our common experiences of one of our parents enduring a kidney transplant. We talked about her kidney disease and how one day she might need a kidney and I jokingly offered mine. Little did I know :)
Well the years went by, our friendship grew - we never lost touch. I got healthier- she got worse. She posted her acceptance letter of transplant on face book and I zoomed in on the number and called to set up my testing. Many people offered to donate to Vicki but I figured action speaks louder than words. It was a long process and at times frustrating but each time I would be so surprised when the transplant team would call me and approve the next step. I was so afraid of failing, as if I could study for this type of a test or something. The only thing I could really do was drink more water and less Diet Dr. Pepper - um hello... that was HARD!
So 8 months, a million test, many tears, gallons of water and a whole lot of love later - we have arrived at our transplant date. I am super excited and can't believe I get this incredible opportunity to pay it forward! I was always on the recipients team and watched as someone so close to death got a second chance at life. What a blessing it is to be given the chance to donate life! I am even excited for my scar! I'm thinking of it as my legalized tattoo! It will serve as a reminder of our incredible journey that didn't just start with Vicki but with my own childhood and the miracles I was able to see. Recycled life! Come on weren't we all taught if you have 2 of something you should share? Well the way I see it, God has blessed me beyond measure and it is only right that I give back! I am honored to give to this amazingly strong friend of mine and I marvel at the strength she has shown during her our journey. Here is to a better life Vicki! Now just keep fighting so we can make this happen!
Less than 2 weeks and counting!


No comments:
Post a Comment