Tuesdays are my hardest day of the week. Normally I have dialysis every other day, but I skip two days Sunday/Monday leading up to Tuesday. That means I always gain extra weight (I don't have kidneys so I don't urinate) and am often swollen. Also, for some reason the dialysis is almost painful. If I can come home and crash for and hour or so I can usually sleep of the misery I feel after. If I can't well…
So today was no exception. Actually quite a bit worse than normal. We took off too much fluid and they makes anyone miserable. I did't get to sleep it off either. I really hate to complain, so I'll be done with that now.
I did get some good news at dialysis. My monthly labs came in. There are a lot of labs watched in dialysis. Many of these are things that can be somewhat controlled by diet. These are the ones I have been most concerned about:
Lab Normal for dialysis patient mine
______________________________________________________
Potassium 3.5-6 4
Phosphorus 2.5-5.5 1.4
Albumin (protein) over 4 3.5
Hematocrit (blood level) 30-33 30
So I totally rocked my labs! The best news is that because my phosphorus is low I don't have to take tums every time I eat!! I am so sick of have the residual tums taste in my mouth. This is huge!!! Also I can have a little more phosphorus in my diet (dairy products, chocolate, who care about the rest).
I can have more potassium in my diet (avocados, oranges, potatoes, tomatoes, long list).
My protein is getting so much better I am not taking the nastiest liquid protein in the world anymore (they didn't tell me to stop taking it….I just decided I have enough torture in my life right now!)
Things are certainly improving! For the most part I have been feeling good!
Only 3 weeks from today!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment